Thursday, April 26, 2007

WHAT YOU DON'T SEE CAN'T HURT YOU

If I don't read the newspapers, go online or watch the news, I won't be constantly reminded of the atrocities that go on in the world every day......I won't have to rant on my opinion on the war in Iraq...........I go about my daily life and give small pockets of time in my day to thoughts I would rather not dwell on........the massacres that are going on all over the world.....I watch the news with horror........and while shaking my head in disbelief, I am able to put it away in some pocket of my mind, and "it" goes away until I am faced with it the next time.......I truly live in the "Tiny Kingdom"........but then I stop and think and give myself a break.........because who among us knows how we personally can do something to make things "better"....... I believe the majority of us live in our own isolated worlds.......it's easier to talk about it briefly....and then just let it go....
Last night while indulging in one of my favorite pastimes.....American Idol.......I was forced once again to go out of my comfort zone and watch the horrors of poverty......hunger, disease.....and I saw these horrors through the eyes of innocent children.......the eyes of those children haunted me last night and have not left me this morning......after I made my online contribution........I felt no sense of relief.......an overwhelming sense of sadness and futility enveloped me as I awoke this morning.....I must become more involved.......I must become more active in this crusade....I need to give this some uninterrupted thought so I can come to terms with a plan.......I must do it on a local basis......I can certainly write an occasional check to the "bigger plans".....but the haunting eyes of those children made an impact on me....and I don't want to put the image away.....I want to see it..I WANT TO HURT...maybe that is the only way I will be forced to act...I need to find out more.......Maybe I am finally growing up.....who would have known it would take me almost 60 years.......but I don't want to close my eyes anymore..........we are all hurt by this.........and I CAN make a difference.........if only a small one.......one step at a time.......
I will certainly tune into "Survivor" this evening and watch another "reality show"........but its significance will have diminished just a little.......
Wake up, Always Abby.........stay in the present...........

No comments: