Sunday, April 29, 2007

MY OWN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

April 18 will mark the 7 MONTH anniversary of when I had a freak accident on the pilates reformer which began a series of "firsts" for me.......in the almost thirty years of my teaching, I have been fortunate never to have an injury.....sure, I had sprained backs, many muscle aches, but nothing which took me "out of the game".......September 18 marks the day that began my journey of seeing my own inconvenient truths.......the fall on the reformer broke my wrist.....upon hitting the reformer, hearing the sound of my wrist cracking, watching it physically moving out of joint and feeling a lot of pain.....I knew immediately that I had entered uncharted territory.......the ambulance ride I had never envisioned was not as glorious as the ones on tv.....nobody rode in the back with me......my arm had been temporarily splinted.....who was there to take care of me and comfort me......fortunately it was only a very short ride to the emergency room, and as the opened the doors of the ambulance, my fans were there to greet the fallen hero.....my pilates teacher, another student who carried my purse......two YMCA head honchos, and then, of course, Gary. I felt a little relief knowing that I was no longer alone and as I was immediately ushered into an emergeny room cubby, all left with good wishes and hugs......all, but Gary......he was my steadfast companion and stayed until I was drugged (thank goodness), x-rayed, had the wrist reset (again heavy medication....arm totaly numbed) and then sent home, armed with the knowledge that there was a good chance I was going to need surgery with plates and pins.....I was still fine.....I had no clue as to what was coming.....surgery came and went and to my dismay, I didn't even get a cast....I guess I should explain that I have ALWAYS wanted a cast......and my pain was eased (along with the meds) knowing that I would finally have a colored cast!!!!! That was not to be the case...my surgeon believes in using removable splints so that rehab can start the day after surgery! A new journey began as I started rehab the day following the surgery......I don't know how the "one-armed man" from the TV show, The Fugitive, performed his daily tasks with "one arm"......I became more creative than I thought possible....I used power drills to open up child-proof bottles.....using the bathroom became interesting..my teeth became an integral part of tearing the tissue paper....putting a long-sleeved t-shirt on and off was imprisoning and zipping my blue jeans was futile. Driving the car with one arm was most dangerous....my frustations were only tamed as I went to physical therapy two times a week and saw everyone else's injury.......most were much worse......most had better attitudes, but mostly I saw my own human frailty and that of others. I heard other stories of multiple surgeries and gratitude that they were able to perform any sort of therapy......I tried to count my blessings. In a way for a long time, I lost "myself" during the first few months.....I was no longer the strong exercise teacher/trainer.....I felt physical and emotional weakness...WHO WAS I when I had to go "off my path"......I had my pity party and then tried to make the most of it....through my extensive arts and crafts background (no laughing, Laurie, Corey or Peggy).......I painted designs on my splints....the rehab patients loved it, but alas, no one took me up on my offers to paint theirs......it has been seven months and I am so much better.....the doctor said this sort of injury takes 12-18 months to get good results......Many, many deep breaths, later, I am grateful it was my left wrist and not the right.....I am so thankful that I was not injured more severely.......Gary is eternally grateful that I can still exercise and "stop the pouting"......and I have come to realize that as grateful as I am for all the above reasons, this 7 months and counting little injury has become 'MY OWN INCONVENIENT TRUTH"......

2 comments:

L. said...

Awesome post...even better title...very honest and insightful....you are quite the author!


Okay, start writing your book. : )

love and hugs

peggy said...

See what simple conversation does...you turn it into an essay...i think you have found your calling, and i hope it gives you the enjoyment and insight that it gives me....love you pru