Thursday, May 3, 2007

'FEAR OF THE SUITCASE"

Other than a few trips to see my daughter in Atlanta, where I can literally throw a few things into the car.......it has been TWO MONTHS AND TWO DAYS since I have had to have a confrontation with a suitcase, and more specifically, what it represents........I must confess I have a severe issue with WHAT AND HOW TO PACK......WHAT SHOULD STAY HOME AND WHAT SHOULD GO?????? Why do I also decide that two pairs of shoes is not enough? Why do I break out the jewelry bag and see what to tote with me when I ALWAYS WEAR THE SAME NECKLACE. Why do I feel the need to pack clothes in case we go out somewhere nice......when for the last eight years that I have travelled to Costa Rica to visit my sons, eventually my daughters-in-law, and joyfully my two and three-fourths gorgeous granddaughters, Maya Taylor, Liana Rosalina and a new baby girl due in July.......My passport affirms that I have made over 40 trips to Costa Rica in the last eight years and my packing dilemna...thats putting it lightly....it is always frustrating.....sometimes paralyzing....and until I zip my bags the morning of the trip,I am ALWAYS adding something else to the suitcase......Let me give you a little more insight into my trips there.......although they are always joyous and since the girls arrived, exhausting, I always wear the same things....lightweight capris and a t-shirt....I sometimes bring jeans.....but if I am in Quepos which is where Scott, Gisella and Liana live.....a beautiful beach town.....there are three temperatures....hot, hotter and intolerable.....Scott's house is air-conditioned......but the rule is..the fewer clothes, the better!!!!!!!! We might go out to eat once or twice, but cool and casual are always the rule....hence my cute little summer sweaters serve no purpose there.....but then also spend half my time in San Jose with Todd, Ana and Maya....where the temperature is a little more moderate......once in a blue moon, you might need a light jacket in the early morning or evening....let's make sure you understand and more importantly, I understand....one light blazer would do the trick......but should it be khaki, black or denim????? AAAARGH.......
Next we come to vanity....although I am the first to admit that I am a "high maintenance" girl and not ashamed to tell you.....why do I think I am going to need to bring a microdermabrasion kit with me or a facial renewing masque....toner, eye cream, anything other than the basics???????????
I must add that usually my Costa Rica trips involve bringing a slew of products to the kids, along with my normal stash of clothes and toys for my two beauties.....Abby always comes through....and it is one of the true joys of my life....but once again, I sometimes don't use moderation.....I have had run-ins with the Customs Officials for bringing in anything from Golden Rule bar-b-que to plumbing parts for Todd's house he is building....they ask for it.....I bring it.....I have been put on "embargo" twice....that's when the customs officials declare you have brought too much into the country and they RED STAMP your passport and you are put on restrictions on what you bring in for six months.....they smile when they see me coming.......
Once I have packed, there is the further anticipation if my bags will meet the weight limits......and I know you will not be surprised to know...they rarely do.....so I always have to bring a spare folding suitcase so that no bag weighs over 60 pounds......I always have to pay for extra luggage, but that's just a given...
My impending trip to my "babies" is compounded by the fact that next Wednesday, I am going to St. Louis and Chicago next Wednesday - Sunday.....and I leave for Costa Rica on Tuesday......
THIS CALLS FOR SOME SEVERE PLANNING......I AM DOING MY OWN INTERVENTION......MY SUITCASES FOR THE FIRST TRIP WILL BE PACKED ON SATURDAY.....AND MY BAGS FOR COSTA RICA WILL BE PACKED ON SUNDAY........I will only have to transfer my "vanity bag" which I am putting a restrictions limit on........and it will NEVER BE UNPACKED......
There will be no "extra" clothes packed, no what-ifs, no shoe store in the suitcase.....I am going to take charge....I can do this....I know I can.....well, let's rephrase this....I am going to do my best to take this "beast" and conquer it......no promises.....just hope that this stress-reducing routine of my life can be put into its proper perspective.......when I go to Costa Rica, it's Abby that
everybody is wanting to see....not her clothes.......I am a lucky lady.......Wish me luck!

No comments: