Thursday, January 24, 2008

JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU'RE CATCHING UP!

Just when you think you have been on cruise control with your "vanity needs" for a bit and you feel in need of a tune-up, something more important comes up.....I went to the dentist and to get down to the nitty-gritty, I need some new crowns (and I wish they were to put on top of my head).........it looks like I will be sticking with my Oil of Olay products for a bit longer......had a busy day today....went to the temple this morning and volunteered......there were four of us there today and we put the bulletins together, inserted extra material, sealed them up and 3 hours later we were done......it was truly a very diverse group of people....besides me, there was an 84 year old man who is in wonderful shape who I am quite fond of, a woman who declared that she was 89 who was a gem and then another gentlemen, mid-fifties with a sharp-tongued wit..........I most enjoyed the "senior citizens".....the woman especially, had such a wonderful outlook on life, and had such a sense of richness of experiences in her life.....she sets quite a wonderful example.....the older gentleman, Howard, is also wonderful....I have worked with him before...He lost his wife less than a year ago and coming to temple and volunteering once in a while makes his feel good......he is a kind man and the morning really flew by......funny how I would never picture myself in a room with these three individuals.....maybe that's what makes volunteer work so unique and enjoying...you spend quality time with people who you would probably never get to socialize with, and it's all for a good cause.....everyone's a winner in this situation....
Young and old, experienced and novice, we all join together to volunteer a few hours of our time.......I can now finally understand how this sense of volunteerism served my mother so well.....after she lost my father, she too was "lost".......it wasn't until she started volunteering at a plethora of places that she rediscovered her sense of purpose.....she was honored for this volunteerism and we were all so proud. As I go to the temple, I do carry a bit of my mom with me.......How lucky I am to share such an experience and to have followed in her footsteps.....

1 comment:

L. said...

I'm proud of you, Abby. Your mom's spirit is definitely inside of you as you stretch yourself and explore the world of volunteerism.

Sorry about the dental work...it's always something, isn't it???

Love and hugs!