Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesdays with Abby

I just got finished watching the Dr. Phil show and was reminded of a book that I read ten years ago, "Tuesdays With Morrie". Dr. Phil had the author, Mitch Albom, on the show, celebrating 10 year re-release of the book......and Dr. Phil and Mitch were trying to get everyday people who have their own problems to stop and reevaluate to what is really important in life.......I can remember reading the book and being mesmerized by it.....its morals were so basic, but too easily skipped over in the hubbub of life. As certain recollections that Mitch brought up many of his conversations with Morrie and I had to smile a little.....many lessons that Morrie had taught Mitch were things that I had actually practiced in my life these last ten years, but never really stopped to think of them as "lessons learned"......Morrie asked Mitch to visit him at the cemetery after he died...and when Mitch questioned him and asked "why".....you won't be able to talk to me, Morrie's response was "you talk....I'll listen".........how wonderful and how it hit home for me.....I have lost both of my parents in the past seven years and their losses were unbelievably painful to me.....I was so afraid they would not be a part of my future life....as I examine that, nothing could be farther from the truth. Although I rarely go the cemetery, since I live out of town, I always have conversations with both my dad and mom. I tell them what is going on in my life..I speak of my highlights and low days.......I do believe they are listening. their spirits come to me in such unexpected times, but are so strong..... it is truly a blessing....I'd love for them to just drop by sometimes....and I am rewarded with one or two "cardinals" perched on the trees around my house.
My two sons who live in Costa Rica who both met their wives, one Costa Rican and one Colombian. They chose to follow the path less travelled, and though I occasionally have a mini-struggle with it,I cannot argue with the beautiful lives they are living. They have given me three beautiful granddaughters who I adore. Many of Morrie's life lessons are ones I think I have unconsciously chosen to follow......I have learned to "embrace their lives" just the way they are....not the way I would have planned it.....my acceptance brings me joy in so many ways.....I am being forced to learn a new language.....even though I can't speak it very well....I can definitely understand a lot.......I'm proud of that......my granddaughters have given me "joy"....unconditional joy.......as I watch my sons in their role as fathers, my heart smiles. Gary and I must have done something right......our daughter, Corey, is a hard/soft spot for me....her strengths are her weaknesses, her passions are unmatched. she is a sucker for anyone who needs anything....I LOVE THAT.....Her ideals remain pure and unwavering....there is no compromising.....
Though it has been a struggle this last year in my preparation to turn "60", I hope I can stop rushing through anything.....waiting to get to the next step....the next step will come...the next opportunity will present itself .... I just have to keep my eyes open. One thing I know for sure.....I want to read "Tuesdays with Morrie" once again.

No comments: