Sunday, May 6, 2007

IT'S TIME FOR THE SUNDAY PAPER

I truly love Sunday mornings.....they are the extension of the early morning rituals that Gary and I have established.....coffee in bed.....listening to CNN News, and best of all, that big, delicious Sunday paper.....(Don't think I have totally lost my mind.....I know it's the "Birmingham" paper, and not the New York Times)......but it's a lot of reading for me......everyone has their own style of newspaper reading, and I am no different.....I love when I go see my attorney/litigator daughter, Corey, in Atlanta....she has littler joy over her paper....it's straight to the funnies...and then she pretty much tosses the rest....
I dig in to find the crossword puzzle, fluff and puff my pillows, coffee on the nightstand, and attack the puzzle with fervor hoping it will be one of those Sundays where I can face the challenge and start my day off right.....for those of you who never do the puzzle, Sunday's is generally the hardest of the week......once I have done as much as I can...I jump to the Lifestyle section so I can see if there is anybody I know who has managed to get their picture in the paper....(usually, that is a NO).......the front page and the reality of the world comes next and then one of my favorite sections....looking at the real estate section and seeing if there is a new house I would like to buy....(no, I am not moving.......it's just part of the Sunday routine......and you never know......) I love the local news section....it makes me realize where I am (I know it's Birmingham).....but I do enjoy the local flavor and it reminds me why Gary and I moved back to Birmingham after several attempts to go elsewhere.....I quickly scan the sports page, the commentary, and of course all of the sale circulars that come out knowing I will find something that I HAVE TO HAVE.......(generally Gary starts frowning at this time), and then I must confess I go to the obituary section.....Ever since I lost my parents, this has become a ritual.....seeing who has gone this week.....hoping I don't see any name that I know...but if that is the case, jotting it down so I am reminded to acknowledge the loss to the family....send a card or a contribution......that was so important to me and take such little effort.....
I am generally on my second cup of coffee by then and making another attempt at the crossword, seeing if my mind can fill in a few more blanks.
Sundays also conjure up thoughts of families together......maybe I can pick up my two granddaughters and take them out for a bagel......go to the Tot Lot....take them to the zoo, or just love on them........reality then sets in.....they are in Costa Rica.......I am melancholy....but it seems just as if my children can sense the way I am feeling, I get calls on the phone from all of them......and life is good......
THE SUNDAY PAPER, THAT EXTRA CUP OF COFFEE AND CALLS FROM MY CHILDREN.........THIS IS GOING TO BE A GOOD DAY......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ahhh, the blog - some ask why do you do this? Why would anyone want to share with everyone your inner most thoughts? Because it is cathartic and anonymous? For some I don't know the answer - for me - for this blog, I am only thankful that you do -

I travel, a lot,

and this blog shares glimpses of home - it isn't the intruding phone call, which is rarely if ever this deep or insightful. This blog gives some of you the glimpse of why this blogger is a keeper, the one to come home to and share the crisis of the day, the success of the moment and the plans for the future! Clever, thoughtful, evolving, honest and loving - who says the news is dead!

gc

L. said...

...now I have chills....what an incredibly beautiful love letter.... : )