Monday, May 28, 2007

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD ABBY!!!!!!!

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD ABBY!!!!!!!

Since arriving home from Costa Rica last week, I have been inspired by my daughter, who is in training for a mini-triathalon........I have purchased a water belt and buoys so that I can train in the water a little, and this weekend I rented a hybrid bike.......the brakes and shifting mechanisms are in the pedals rather than the handlebars, so it is easier for me to manipulate and I have taken it to the Lakeshore Trail the last two days with my trusty partner....Gary who generally does his three hour bike ride first and then his cooldown with me.....Nonetheless, I am having a wonderful time......the helmet is the only non-cool looking thing about it.....but safety issues prevail.....and I strap a pale blue one on.....I might mention that is the same color as my bike......I restrained myself at the bike store and did not buy a biking outfit.....Gary was searching the car looking for what I had bought.....it's good to surprise him sometimes by NOT purchasing.......anyway with the safety of the trail.....a few inclines....but nothing too challenging, I am suddenly empowered in a new way.....the breeze is exhilarating and I feel as though I have joined the ranks of "Biker Chick”.......my first time out I was very timid.....the fear of falling was intimidating, but on my second ride, I urged Gary to go faster as we inched our speed up from 6 mph the first day to 14 mph yesterday...Today, Gary meets me after he has already ridden for two and a half hours and we go back to the trail…......I love that I am out of my zone.....I have no desire to enter a race or to go speeding down a graveled road......I just want to appreciate the fact that I able to ride a bike.....I get to spend some time outside (although with the air warnings being....STAY INSIDE IF YOU CAN, I'm not sure how smart this is, and I do seem to be coughing more...oh well.......) My next challenge will be in the water.....I think I would like to take swimming lessons.....I know the strokes, but never really do them.......I think I might need a pair of goggles......I want to feel a sense of renewal....I want to appreciate the body that I have and what amazing things it can do....and do some kinder, gentler things to pamper it..... When I come home, I will definitely take a nap…..this new form of exercise exhilaration is exhausting…...
I am excited about my new adventures and hope to continually explore new paths of satisfaction....I do not want to reinvent myself......I do not want to go skydiving.....I do not want to go to medical school or law school........I am finally deciding that I like "me" and just want to tap some new unexplored places for Abby....Stay tuned.....I know it will be an adventure.....

No comments: