Saturday, May 5, 2007

SIMPLE PLEASURES ARE.........

In my new journey to live life more "in the moment"....more purposely, more "stop and smell the roses" mode, I have made some lovely observations.....for me, the "larger than life" parts of your life are incredible, but they are far and few between.....those "big" moments.......events that are planned for months are gone in a few hours.....and sometimes the preparation exceeds the actual event....for me the "preparation" is exhausting....I am like a race horse ......but at least he stays on the track running in circles.....I create my own circles of frenetic planning, unnecessary buying, attempts to create the most wonderful atmosphere....that I exhaust myself before the "moment" and therefore, taking away from the special event........I run my own race, but I go way "off course"........I certainly don't get the "wreath of roses" thrown over my body.....anxiety overcomes me.....some reward,don't you think????????
As I attempt to "make some small changes" I am truly seeing that it is the simple pleasures which fill me the most.....which make me smile........life doesn't have to be about the "special occasions".......it is my recognition of what goes on in my daily life that put smiles on my face...that warm my heart.......when I am at the gym and I am able to give someone a little assistance....it is their hug and true sense of appreciation that gives me "my perk".....it is those great workouts with Martha, my training partner, at the gym, who I am developing a wonderful relationship with......that make me realize how wonderful it is to be able to be healthy enough to push this body of mine to greater heights...to feel those endorphins kicking in and thinking I can conquer the world (after I take a nap and four advil, of course)........
It is about my daily existence with Laurie, my bestest friend, who I share everything with.....our conversations can range from deep and emotional to even more importantly, the results of last night's reality show.....it is our inhibited freedom to express our joy about "whatever".....there is such a difference between being a little crazy on all your own - and being a little crazy together....I have a big grin on my face as I write of our relationship.....she's a keeper.......
It is watching Gary cook for some friends last night....a last minute invitation which has me scurrying to Whole Foods (an experience which always brings on "anxiety attacks...) to get all the ingredients he needs to prepare his special dinner.....his joy in slicing, dicing, experimenting with sauces, glazes, presentation (although not important to me at all)....his face says it all...he is joyous...it is that simple.....as our guests rave at his creations, his face lights up.......
It is my visits to Atlanta to see Corey, my beautiful lawyer, who I watch in amazement as her confidence grows, as she takes baby steps to get into her "happy place".......it is her telephone conversations to me.....some good...some not so good......but I am trying to learn to relish all of them....life is not all about the good.......it's that they are "shared experiences".....it is hearing her joy when she gets her income tax refund in the mail!
You see, what I have come to discover is that the simple pleasures are my greatest treasures......

2 comments:

L. said...

Beautiful post.....and YOU are definitely one of my greatest treasures, Sharon! What we have together is definitely unique and special.

And, yes, the dinner last night was absolutely delicious...and your home really looked exquisite!

Ahhhhh....simple pleasures.... : )

Unknown said...

Simple pleasures are a must - and even complaining has it's simple vaules - the more trivial the complaints, the more we know that we don't have real problems...good friends, good food, good times.