Friday, January 9, 2009

WHAT ARE FRIENDS FOR?

As I sit down and write late this afternoon, I have a smile on my face. I got to see two of my girly girlfriends today, and my time spent with them makes me realize just how lucky I am to have friends who accept me as I am, worts and all.....who are there in the good and the bad times, with words of encouragement and love. The girls I am talking about today are long-term friends.....30 years........all three of us have gone through highs and lows and as my BFF and I went to see our friend, who had recent foot surgery (on both feet!!!!), but was propped up in bed with a smile on her face, happy that we had stopped by to see her. It was a very calming feeling....I'm not sure how to explain it....besides the calm, there was laughter, sometimes about subjects which are difficult, gratitude that we are all there for each other.....realizing how many life events we have shared together.....somehow lessened the tinges of aging that I sometimes have. You can't have these friendships in your 30's or 40's.....You start feeling their stable place in your life in your 50's, but at 60.....I don't know what happens. All veils come down...we all become so very transparent in such a kind way.....we know that no matter what, there are the "three of us". I'm a pretty lucky woman.

1 comment:

L. said...

What a beautiful post...It was nice to read your words...as I feel the very same way.

I am honored to have you call me your friend....and, I look forward to sharing whatever lies ahead...

I love you,
L.