Thursday, June 28, 2007

Life as a Nanny and cook in a foreign country

I could make up a glamorous fairy tale about the grandmother from Birmingham who travelled abroad to take a job as a nanny and cook for a wealthy family in Costa Rica, but to say it was a fairy tale is not the truth....Here I am in a beautiful condo in San Jose, Costa Rica being a nanny, a chauffeur and a cook...generally nannies don't have a lot of privileges....but i get as much time off as I want....I generally go to the gym the first thing in the morning....all of the equipment is new and there are two tv's.........I can't find the remote control so I move a weight bench to stand on to reach the top of the tv to find an english channel so that for those 45 minutes or so....I am in my own world........
Right now I am not seeing much of Maya......but Liana is adorable and it is good to get some one on one with her and those hugs and kisses sure are good. The next few days I will have some more time with Todd (just got back from a real estate symposium in Colorado), Ana and Maya......I am trying to look at my time here as a wonderful opportunity to spend some quality time with my Costa Rican family.....I am sure I will come home exhausted........but sometimes sleep is highly overrated and I am fortunate to have this experience (ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I HAVE MY OWN BATHROOM, GREAT TUB AND BIG TV IN MY ROOM....YEAH....AND I FOUND CBS AND ABC.......)and again having the privilege of watching my sons as fathers and businessmen....and knowing I might have a little part of responsibility for what they have become.....they truly astonish me as I silently watch.........time to make the muffins....I hear somebody getting up.....will post more later.......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Life with grandkids is a treasure to behold - a jealous pappa G, but one with smiles and the Abby is on duty!